The Special Needs School Nursing Service (SEN) is part of the Children’s Community Nursing Team (CCNT) and is a nurse led service for children entering reception up until 19 years old.
We aim to provide guidance to schools for pupils with special needs, including profound disabilities and complex health needs. The team consists of registered nurses who provided specialist clinical support to children and young people who attend one of the identified Special Schools within the Trafford locality. The focus of the service is to provide appropriate health care advice, support, guidance and training to schools to ensure children and young people with complex health needs and disability can access education and achieve their full potential.
Children and young people who attend the following SEN Schools can access the SEN School Nurses:
- Delamere School
- Pictor School
- Longford Park School
- The Orchards School
- St John Vianney School
- Brentwood School
- Acting as key workers for children and their families
- Supporting school staff in dealing with specific health needs including provision of training
- Supporting school staff to implement and update individual care plans
- Visits in the home to assess and review health needs that require support in school
- Planning for transition to adult services, secondary and/or further education
- Contributing to the Early Help Assessment and safeguarding processes to ensure that children’s additional and safeguarding needs are fully identified and communicated
- Contributing to Education, Health and care plans
- Supporting immunisation and vaccination programmes
- Providing a health needs assessment at school entry
- Providing health education and public health issues awareness
- Brentwood School: 0161 905 2371 opt 3
- Delamere School: 0161 747 5893
- Longford Park School: 0161 934 8333
- Pictor School: 0161 912 3091
- St John Vianney School: 0161 934 8333
- The Orchards School: 0161 934 8333
The service works mainly across the schools, therefore this should be the main point of communication for a number of the school nurses however they also have a base at Sale Waterside with the CCNT Sale Waterside, particularly in the school holidays.
Children’s Special Needs School Nursing Service
Phone: 0161 934 8333
The CCNT service has an answer machine available 24 hours a day however this is checked only during operation hours.
Monday to Friday during term time, with some support outside of term time for urgent or safeguarding children concerns.
The Special Needs School Nursing Service (SEN) is part of the Children’s Community Nursing Team (CCNT) and is a nurse led service for children entering reception up until the young person’s 19th birthday, which aims to provide guidance to schools for pupils with special needs, including profound disabilities and complex health needs.
How to refer
Referrals to the SEN School nurses are not required as every child has access to the service who attend one of the identified SEN Schools.